Monday 4 June 2012

Location, location, location!


When the topic of different posting locations comes up I am always amused by the passionate discussions that can arise. I find it quite funny that people can have such varying opinions of the one location.

Some of the most commonly complained about locations, and their so-called 'problems' are:
Singleton - boring hell hole.
Darwin - backwards place with no good shopping.
Brisbane - full of bitchy, cliquey wives.
Puckapunyal - a very small community where you can't fart without everyone knowing about it.

Now these are not my opinions of those locations, it is just what I have heard. Although my husband was posted to one of those locations and from my experience there, I tend to somewhat agree with it's 'reputation' [cough Brisbane cough]. But in saying that, I wouldn't necessarily go around telling everyone that it was awful. I actually enjoyed our time there. And that was a while ago now so most of those 'bitches' have probably moved on and are now terrorising another location lol.

One tip for you all - if you know that a particular person hated a certain location, DO NOT ask them for advice on schools, suburbs etc! Their tainted view of the place often leads to inaccurate information. I have actually corrected someone when they were saying that X suburb was soooooo far away from Y base when in reality it was a short trip.

I also really hate it when you hear someone using their location as an excuse for their problems. Grrr I just want to shake these people sometimes! Living in a particular location does not automatically make you a psycho woman! You obviously have some issues that need to be dealt with but do not blame the community around you. Sorry. Bit of a random vent there. I'll get back to my point :-)

I guess what I am trying to say is, don't take all these opinions as gospel. I was a bit worried about coming to my current location but now that I am here I am LOVING IT!!  And any place is only going to be as good as you make it. So if you put the effort in to get out and make friends and get to know your area, chances are you will have fun in Singleton, or find a great shoe shop in Darwin, or make some great friends in Brisbane and maybe .... umm... learn to fart silently in Pucka :-P

Until next time,

C.








No comments:

Post a Comment